Wednesday, April 13, 2011

How I wore it: it's just a state of mind

Hi all. Wow. I hope I get a job, not for the money or the security, but mainly so I can post more outfit shots. Is that weird? I can't believe I haven't updated since SUNDAY, but that's the way it's been going these past few weeks, eh?

[In job news, I've been contacted a couple of times by that school that e-mailed me on Sunday night. I should be having a phone interview with a current Spanish teacher in the very near future.]

In other other news, my husband and I are starting to make our summer plans and the tickets to Greece are hideously expensive this time. I know that it's so bratty: "Oh, alas, poor us, our summer plans are going to be so EXPENSIVE, dahlings!" But it's the way it is. My husband sees his family once a year, in the summer. His cousin (and the daughter of my godmother) is getting married in early July and she and her fiancé planned for a summer wedding specifically so that we'd be there. I have to go to Hamburg to defend (?) my dissertation. It's just gonna be expensive.

Despite everything, I've actually been having a good couple of days. For the last month or so, I've been telling people that I plan to do some Sanskriting on my own as soon as my dissertation is finished. However, I'm playing the waiting game now, waiting for my advisor's revisions/comments, so I decided to start NOW instead of waiting for another few months and potentially making my Sanskrit go all rusty. So on Monday I started rereading Kalidasa's Kumarasambhavam, one of his seminal poems (I read the first book ten years ago with my second-year Sanskrit class and parts of the third and fourth books with my advisor many years ago). I plan to go from beginning to end, just me, and have a lovely time of it. I don't know why I'm telling you all this: Sanskrit! It's a valid life choice! Anyways, to cut a long story short, I've been filling my days with pretty poetry and lots of reference books. Yay.

Anyway, after the rash of nice weather we saw the past few days (and more to come, I hear), today was a grey and rainy day. I mean pouring. I'd gone out (and gotten sopping wet) for the gym and, unfortunately, had to go out again for groceries. This is what I wore:


Not very exciting, I know. I'd originally planned my outfit to be way cuter. While watching 'Parenthood' last night, I was struck by an outfit that actress Monica Potter (who plays Kristina Braverman) wore in one scene. I can't find a photo of it online, but it was super-simple: a white, tunicy-type blouse over a pair of khakis. Hair pulled back in a ponytail. So lovely. So I decided to try to recreate it with my Indian shirt, seen above, and my own pair of khakis. I was psyched to have a nice inspiration for an outfit. Alas, the weather being what it was, I decided to pack it all in and wear some hardcore boots over leggings. So while this top is a little shorter than I'd like for these bottoms, I couldn't help but want to wear at least one element of the outfit of my dreams. Maybe another day?

Unimpressed.

Let's change the subject. Last week, on my date with myself, I bought two pairs of earrings. The blue pair I wore last week, the day after I bought them, but I wore the other pair today for the first time:


Fun, no? As you can probably tell, I like simple jewelry where all you see is the stone. I like that these are white, which'll be a lot of fun for the summer, and I like the chains hanging freely to mix with the big, chunky stone willy-nilly. They're a teensy bit heavier than I'm recently used to, but nothing too dramatic. I mean, I kept them on while baking and hanging out on the couch, so they're quite comfortable. 

Anyway, tomorrow promises to be a prettier day and I hope to have news from the job situation. Happy hump day, all!

White earrings: Chico's
White top: gift from an ex-boyfriend, remixed
Tank underneath: Urban Outfitters
Grey jeggings: HUE by way of Lord and Taylor, remixed
Blue boots: Frye Veronica Slouches, by way of zappos.com, remixed 

2 comments:

  1. So do you ever do translations of the poems you read in Sanskrit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri, I do! The bulk of my dissertation is a translation/quasi-critical edition of a 700+-verse collection of poetry. And the stuff I'm doing for fun right now also involves a translation: the idea of translation is one that's fascinated me for a long time (my parents are translators!).

    ReplyDelete