Wednesday, April 20, 2011

How I wore it: interview (#2)

Today I went for an on-campus interview at a school for which I was a candidate two years ago as well. It was a pretty good day, I think. I felt with it during my lesson (the current Spanish teacher said he thought it'd been "phenomenal") and the conversations I had with various administrators were really lovely. I'll be super-psyched if they hire me, I won't be devastated if they don't. I'm also very amenable to part-time work and they are very happy about that, so that's also a fun factor. Anyway, the school in question is a very artsy, progressive-type place (no dress code for teachers! Ahhh!!!) and I wanted to look more "stylish potential hire" than "frumpy non-professional" (which is how I looked two years ago), so I picked out my wardrobe well in advance with a lot of thought. Unfortunately, alas, I don't know if I succeeded:


In my fantasies, this skirt is high-waisted and hits a flattering amount above the knee. In reality, though, the skirt has always been a teensy bit roomy on me and is now SWIMMING on me. And so it falls onto my hips. And so it's slightly longer, slightly frumpier, and does NOT create a smooth line with a tucked-in tee. Plus it was cold, so a granny cardigan had to be added! Oh, well. At least I liked all the elements involved.

What I really hoped I'd be wearing was this:

Smilin' at my cat. See how low the skirt falls? See?!

As a base, I quite like this look, skirt's length notwithstanding. But it was in the 40s most of the day and grey and drizzly, so the cardigan was non-negotiable. At least I had fun tights!

Anyway, we'll see what happens. Meanwhile, I'm happy just working with my advisor's comments and finishing up my dissertation (and trying to make sure with the university that a July viva is feasible)...

In other news, this week I read the devastating news that one of my favorite blogs, Fashionable Academics (is it already down?!), has ended its tenure as one of the best academic/grad school personal style blogs out there. I enjoyed getting to "know" La Historiadora de Moda, AUH, Shakespeare's Feminine Endings, and the rest of the gang immensely. Y'all will be missed.

Black t-shirt: H&M, remixed
Green cardigan: gift from mom, via Lord and Taylor, remixed
Skirt: Ann Taylor Loft, remixed
Patterned tights: Gap, remixed
Black flats: Me Too, by way of DSW, remixed

7 comments:

  1. I do like the outfit, I think it was a good pick. Perhaps you could get the skirt altered so it can fulfill all your wildest dreams? And I agree, I do love the fun tights with the outfit!
    Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Miss B! I'll keep everyone posted! I'm always scared of altering clothes in case I gain the weight back again...but then again, the skirt's ALWAYS been loose on me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great skirt, and I think it looks cool low slung like that. Professional yet relaxed. Fingers crossed on the job thing! No dress code is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful skirt...but I do think it needs to be snugged up a bit. Glad that the interview went well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how did your interview go i had a couple last week did look as good as this, tho my interview was as trainer at a stables so fashion is not all that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nina, I got the job! I'm thrilled. I hope your interviews go well!

    ReplyDelete