Friday, April 8, 2011

How I wore it: Friday wanderings

People, today turned out to be an exceptionally full day. After tutoring, I decided to head downtown to the city in order to drop off a job application (oh?); meet my husband; take a long walk; and go to the French restaurant where we ate for our anniversary last month. And in order to do all that, I decided to wear one of the two new tops I bought yesterday at the Gap:


Fun, no? I wouldn't say it's my usual style, but I quite love it on. It has a jersey base with a light overlayer of thin chiffon-y material - that's what makes all those lovely, flouncy folds. It has one special detail: the reason for which I took it off the shelf:

Well, it WOULD be a cool detail if my camera hadn't blurred it

A random exposed zipper on the left side! I'm kind of a sucker for both zipper embellishments and exposed zipper, so this shirt spoke to a dark place inside me. 

I foresee this new top looking cute with a lot of pants (bright ones especially) and skirts, but today I kept it simple with jeans because I dearly wanted to wear blue jewelry:


The hamsa charm I've had for about four years. In spring of 2007, when my then-boyfriend (now husband) went home to Greece for Easter, I sent him on his way with two pairs of earrings, one for his sister and one for his cousin (who's getting married in July *sniff*); I bought them at a store in Philadelphia called Dahlia's ('Treasures from the Holy Land'!) on 20th and Walnut, I believe. Because I spent at least $200, I was given the little charm as a gift. I immediately strung it on a silver chain and wore it while the Greek was out of town. I don't think I've worn it since. I liberated it from my jewelry box in New York last month. The earrings I bought yesterday in a store called Chico's. As soon as I saw them, I thought they'd look nice with the hamsa. And I was proved correct, I think.

In the meantime, I'm sitting watching "Camelot" and - don't judge me - feeling hungry again. Time to forage the fridge. I'm gross.


Earrings: Chico's
Necklace: gift with purchase from Dahlia's in Philadelphia
Black top: Gap
Jeans: Gap, remixed
Grey booties: Aldo's, remixed

5 comments:

  1. this is a most excellent top and your story about hamsa made me think that most of my jewelry items have stories attached as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent shirt purchase. I think it will pair well with a lot of things - dressed up and down!
    I love that jewelry. It makes me think of sunshine and beaches, which is a nice break from the clouds and mud I am currently experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, everyone! I'm a fan of the new shirt, too. And, Allison, on our end it looks like spring is showing its head here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, exposed zipper! I love how both put-together and totally comfortable this outfit looks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Clare! I liked that about the outfit too: I felt good, but I also felt comfy. :)

    ReplyDelete