Thursday, September 30, 2010

How I wore it: teaching (black and) blues

Holy cow, I can't believe September is ending. Woah, man. I will admit, for the first time in my life, I'm looking forward to cooler temperatures. With nine pairs of boots on rotation, I'm ready to start wearin'. However, with temperatures hovering today in the (very humid) high 70s, it was hard to remind myself that fall is (supposedly) here. It looks like my prayers will be answered a little too quickly, though, as temperatures will be allegedly dropping in the next few days. Sigh. See? Grass is always greener.

Anyways, as today was tutoring day, I had to leave my home. While I enjoyed the chance to prance about Boston yesterday, today was cloudy, grey, and SUPER-WINDY. I still have a childish fear of storms, so the idea of going out before a potentially huge thunderstorm (which didn't end up happening) was a little scary, but I pulled it together like a trooper. By going back to an old favorite color:


Sorry for the graininess, folks. If I made the picture any smaller, I would've looked like even more of a column of black than I do as it is.

So there you have it: black tunic, black skinny jeans, blue boots. I was insanely pleased with this look, though I can't really say why. It just felt so simple and right. Although I think I wear more color than I ever imagined (at least judging by my posts' labels), I'm a classic New York dresser (read: wear a lot of black) at heart sometimes.

(Also? For some reason I've been kind of on an anti-blue Fryes kick for the past few weeks, but I'm over it after looking at this picture: I LOVE THESE BOOTS!)

I played around with my hair today, though. After trying my hand at Heidi braids the other day, I decided to wear a single braid today. I used to have insanely long hair, especially in my first year or so of graduate school (after which, I cut it all off à la Mia Farrow after a disappointing love affair). Anyway, I often would braid my hair, especially when I was wearing my glasses (which I didn't like in those days) and wanted to look put together, but not severe. I can safely say that I haven't done it since then, mostly because my hair hasn't been long enough. Anyway. I also wanted to break up the black column, so I thought I'd wear my colorful headband and ornate jewelry:


There you have it. The hairband, of course, blew off in the wind while I was walking to my husband's office after the lesson. I retrieved it and stuck it in my purse, where it spent the rest of the evening. Although my husband loved the braid (which he'd never seen me do before), I will admit to being relieved upon coming home and just yanking the whole thing back into a high bun. I'm a creature of habit.

The title of this post is also apt because I'm a little over tutoring. Don't get me wrong: I love getting my weekly salary! But the last time I tutored or taught someone so young, I was still a teenager in high school, so I was still relatively close to that age. Then I went to graduate school and became a teaching assistant and eventually a lecturer and got used to teaching college students. I've been a middle school teacher (which I quit), but I prefer teaching at least high school and up. I'm such a colossal nerdwad that it's helpful for me to have students at least mature enough to know what I'm saying. At the same time it's probably really good for me to have to explain what a "verb" is without just saying "okay, so let's look at the verb." At the same time, today I made a really kick-ass worksheet, so at least I'm having fun!

And, I hope, my student is learning something, too.

Black tunic: American Apparel
Black jeans: Bulldog by Urban Outfitter
Blue boots: Frye Veronica slouches, via www.zappos.com
Hairband: CVS, remixed
Ring: from a jewelry store in Hamburg, gifted by my husband
Earrings: gift from my mother-in-law

No comments:

Post a Comment