Sunday, September 12, 2010

How I wore it: neutral weekend

The weather in New England has become cool and a little bit grey. I think it's safe to say that fall is arriving, however much it pains me to admit it. I mean, I'm excited to wear boots (boooooooooots) again [I even wore my least boot-like boots today!], but...well, it's hard to not just prance about in a sundress.

Yesterday I ventured out in leggings for the first time since, oh, 1995 or so. Remember the leggings I bought way back in June? I cut out the tags yesterday and PUT THEM ON. I was planning on just hosting some friends and their baby, so I thought they would be crawling-around-on-the-floor-after-toddler-and-cat friendly. Because I am a healthy, vibrant woman with an ass, I put on my grey tunic as well (nothing I ever wear with my leggings will ever not cover my bum). Because I really wanted to balance out the whole look, I dreamed of wearing my grey Fryes with them, but the weather did crawl up to the low 70s, so I just put on colorful flats for when I went to the supermarket to prepare for my friends. However, we ended up going out shopping to IKEA and stuff, so I was seen in them for much of the day. I wore a long sweater over the whole shebang for modesty's (and warmth's!) sake:


So there you go. I'm wearing leggings out and I'm no longer an adolescent. You can't see it almost at all in this photo, but the leggings have a cute little zipper detail in the back. Anyway, despite the whole "GAH, THERE'RE MY LEGS!" freak-out I was prone to having each time I saw my reflection in glass, I was sinfully comfortable all day long. I have a feeling this will be my go-to uniform for staying at home and working on my dissertation.

Today dawned even cooler, but I had a date with my brother, sister-in-law, and energetic niece. I decided to pull on my faithful black skinny jeans for the first time since, oh, I don't know - spring? I was in a real rut this morning, though, so I just pulled on the grey tunic again (which you can't really see that I'm wearing above, I realize). I then finished the whole look with my grey booties. I was extremely uninspired, though, so I didn't feel that cute in the ensemble, but it was a tried and true outfit choice that made me feel very me:


And I'll be honest. However short they are, it was nice to be able to pull on boots again.

I truthfully think that the reason I felt so uninspired today was because tomorrow I want to look super-cute for my husband's home-coming from a ten-day-long trip and since I'm revving myself up so much for that (dress! Tights! Contacts!), anything I would wear today would feel anticlimactic with the exception of a ball gown or wedding dress (and, yes, I have been obsessively watching "Say Yes to the Dress" on TLC, why?).

However, it was nice to go back to a muted palette. As much as I've loved stepping back from black and grey (and, let's be honest - I did wear a fair amount of both colors over the summer) in the recent past, they are my two absolute favorite colors/neutrals and, hey, it was nice to have them on my body again.

Saturday's outfit:
Charcoal cardigan: Gap, remixed
Grey tunic: American Apparel, remixed
Grey leggings: Gap
Mustard-y flats: Nine West by way of DSW, remixed


Sunday's outfit:
Grey tunic (AGAIN): American Apparel, remixed
Black jeans: Bulldog by Urban Outfitter, remixed
Grey booties: Aldo, remixed

No comments:

Post a Comment