Monday, February 28, 2011

How I wore it: the doldrums

I am happy to announce that I'm feeling much better. My cold last week wasn't THAT bad, but as I get sick so rarely (seriously: I got colds all the time as a kid, but once I started working out a lot in college, I just...stopped), when I do - even with something relatively mild - it just knocks me flat. I would've loved to have gone to the gym today, but my cold is migrating into a hollow cough, especially when I do anything more strenuous than sit down, so... maybe tomorrow?

I did, however, reward myself with a nice walk in order to run some errands. The weather was crap again today, but I fortunately was outside while there was NO RAIN (dum duh duh DUM..."All I can say is that..." Okay, never mind). It's funny, StyleNation, but I feel myself in the biggest style rut right now: I hate my hair, my clothes, my face, my make-up - everything. I think because I'm so close to getting a haircut (Wednesday!) that I'm getting just impatient with my normal fare. So with that impatience in mind, this is how I dressed myself today: as basically as possible:


Oh. Huh. I kinda liked this. I think I'm reluctant to showcase all-black outfits because they're not that "creative" and sort of a fallback, especially, I feel, on the online community, but - as I always realize - I love how I look in black. And I actually felt pretty during my walk while I rocked out to Duran Duran on my iPod. Because my camera apparently hates blue boots, you can't see that my boots are actually not the same color as the rest of my outfit. Despite my obsession with black, I don't own any appropriate black boots, so I necessarily contrast my all-black outfits with my shoes in the winter. And it was nice to wear blue boots, too. Always an unexpected touch for people. 


So, friends, what do you advise? How do I get out of my rut? New outfit combinations? New make-up regimen? New hairstyle? Well, the last one is actually going to happen, but a lot of what I'm hoping for depends on what my stylist says - I may just end up getting a trim. If so...what then? Any suggestions most appreciated.

Black sweater: Saks Fifth Avenue, remixed
Black jeans: Bulldog by Urban Outfitters, remixed
Blue boots: Frye Veronica Slouches, by way of zappos.com, remixed

8 comments:

  1. Go to your local thrift. Buy the unlikeliest and brightest thing in the store, and then see what you do with it. Looking forward to the hair transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, you look great in black! I hate those ruts... I tend to fall into ruts around my hair too, where I just can't stand it and obsess about it constantly. In any case, I think a new haircut will be just what the doctor ordered. I find that even my clothes have a new feel to them when I have a new hairstyle, and I'm inspired to try new combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Terri. Get something out of character and try to work with it. I just bought an orange spring cardigan to see what would happen, especially since I've been told all my life that I will blow up like matter in the presence of antimatter if I wear orange.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to echo Terri here. I love going to the thrift store (less dangerous than the dept stores) and I buy something that I would never think to wear. Granted it's retail therapy but it helps me think outside the box.

    You look great in all black (sans boots).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I challenge you to stay in this rut and wear all black EVERY DAY. (ha! My neuropscyhologist friends says this is called "prescribing the problem.)

    And for the record - because we're keeping an official record, right? - I love this look. And while I cannot wait to check out your new haircut, I quite enjoy your current look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everyone else that sometimes a little bit of shopping (thrift or otherwise, clothing or makeup) can be useful to get out of a rut. For me, sometimes just one new piece helps me re-think things I've already got. Looking forward to seeing the new haircut. I'm in desperate need of one -- it's one of my spring break to-dos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh new hair cut! I'm excited to see what you end up with. If I'm in a rut, I definitely go for more than a trim. After all, it's just hair (which is no doubt why my hair has been no longer than shoulder length for over a decade now!).

    And agreed on the shopping. Why not get some great accessory to play up all of your black? A bright scarf perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ladies, you have all single-handedly (hm) helped me to feel better. Thanks for the kind words and the good advice. I'll see if mixing it up (and the haircut!!!) make me feel more exciting. Plus, new month coming! Yay!

    ReplyDelete