Thursday, October 23, 2014

How I wore it: COLOR!

Woo, it's been a stressful week. Baby Boots got sick on Tuesday morning and we've been scrambling to stay home/miss the least amount of work possible/get sitters. I stayed home on Tuesday, my husband stayed home yesterday and today, and we got a (PRICY) sitter for tomorrow, which is a big work day for both of us.

The weather has been pretty yucky this week - Monday was my only bike day. Since I spent Tuesday in harem pants and an ugly Beatles tee and yesterday I had to help out the cafeteria workers (every teacher and his/her advisees does this a couple of times per year), I've been dressing pretty messily. Tomorrow, Friday, I have to pull out all the stops for parent visits, but I decided to look cute today, too, and defy the rain gods:

What's up with my legs always disappearing on the blog? Time to turn more lights on.

Now that's colorful! I have owned that bright pink corduroy pencil skirt for two years (when I did a whole Old Navy autumn spree that I still haven't fully documented), but I've not been too creative in styling it. In fact, when I was planning to wear it, I was thinking of wearing a black/white buffalo plaid button-down, although I was grumpy from my lack of creativity. However, I had seen a Glamour article in which a stylish lady paired a striped oxford shirt (quite similar to mine) with a bright orange pencil skirt. Inspiration struck, and boom.

It was a pain to keep my shirt tucked in all day, but I was really happy with the look. One of my colleagues liked the whole look and I got a lot of positive comments on my bright skirt. Yay!

Remember these awesome boots? That I've owned for four years? They're still going strong, although they've sort of become my most beat-up boots (at the end of the day, I'll always love my Fryes most). I wore them in the rain and they got super-stained (nothing a little leather-cleaner can't fix). However, the sole of the left boot started peeling off and I think it's time to bite the bullet and get new rain boots (my old ones bit the dust last year) and to purge these guys from my wardrobe, as much as I love them. I don't think it's going to be worth getting them fixed and I now I have my beloved similar Fryes and I could afford to pare down my boot collection a fair amount. So, bye-bye Steve Madden boots. I loved ye well, but I love my other boots weller and it's time to say good-bye. 

Well, tomorrow I have to teach two classes while being observed by my students' parents and then have, like, a thousand conferences with them. Wish me luck!

Grey hairband: Urban Outfitters (online), remixed
Striped shirt: J Crew Factory, remixed
Pink skirt: Old Navy (online)
Grey tights: Gap, remixed
Boots: Steve Madden, remixed

No comments:

Post a Comment