Friday, November 26, 2010

How I wore it: blue jay way

I hope all of my American readers had a nice Thanksgiving! I did as well, although it was a super-tiring day, waking up at 6 AM and going to bed at 2 AM this morning. With lots of travelling (and eating) in between those hours. Mmmmm...

Anyway, I wanted to dress up a little for the holiday festivities at my brother's, so I decided to wear my cold weather fancy (yet snuggly) outfit:


Nuts, the colors came out funky again. Damn my poor photography skills! Anyways, guys, this is literally the same outfit I wore at work last year when I desperately wanted to wear pants and/or boots but wasn't allowed to because of the dress code: I'd wear this warm, flannely skirt, warm tights, and these particular tall black boots. The skirt length hid the fact that they were boots (although it was pretty obvious anyway) and I'd be comfortable and warm-ish.


This is what my legs looked like yesterday (and all the other days I sneaked boots to work under that particular skirt). These are currently the oldest boots in my closet. I bought them my third year of graduate school, when I decided to dress a little more professionally and invest in a nice pair of boots and some skirts. I TAed a Hindi class in a classroom where another grad student taught a German class right before me. She had awesome style, including a nice pair of tall brown boots. I asked her, rather wistfully, where she had gotten them and she said that she had bought them at an Aerosoles store and that they were having a sale. I went that weekend. This was in the fall of 2005, people, and they're just now starting to show some wear and tear on one side. Since they're from Aerosoles, they're super-comfy and, as you can probably tell, they're my most conservative pair of basic boots. I made the mistake of wearing them to the interview for the job I worked last year, not knowing that boots were verboten, but no one said anything.

And today? Well, I left the house in order to do my weekly French tutoring and host some friends for dinner. Here's how I looked:


Shocker! Grey on grey with (blue, this time) Frye boots! It's funny. I love wearing grey together, but looking at this picture, I don't like this particular effect at all. [DO YOU THINK MY JUNIOR HIGH-SCHOOL STUDENTS JUDGED ME?!] Maybe it's because the pants and the tunic are too close in color? I don't know. Thank goodness I broke it all up with a purple cardigan and blue boots, no? I dunno: I think in the future I'll definitely try for a more contrasty look when wearing pale-ish colors like this grey.

Wow. Can I have been wrong all these years of wearing grey on grey? *shudder*

I hope you all have a good weekend!

Thursday's outfit:
Black sweater: Gap
Blue & black skirt: Gap, remixed
Blue tights: Gap, remixed
Black boots: Aerosoles


Friday's outfit:
Purple cardigan: gift from mother, via Lord and Taylors, remixed
Grey tunic: American Apparel, remixed
Grey jeans: Bulldog by Urban Outfitters, remixed
Blue boots: Frye Vernoica slouches, by way of Zappos. remixed

No comments:

Post a Comment