Sunday, March 14, 2010

Send in the clowns?

Good morning! Did you remember to change your clocks? I didn't, but thanks to modern technology, my cell phone and computer both did and thusly I was able to change the clocks in the rest of the house.

It's been pretty blah in the household. My husband was super-sick with bronchitis this week and is only now starting to feel a little better. It has been raining nonstop for over twenty-four hours and I'm starting to go crazy. The good news? I don't have to go back to work for another 15 days. AWE-SOME!

Anyways, I've been struggling with a mythical idea for the past, oh, six months. That wondrous, magical beast:

...red lipstick.

Pick up any fashion magazine and they will all swear on their lives that red lipstick is universally flattering (especially if you pick a color with the right undertones that match your skin, blah blah blah). And I love the way it looks, in theory.

However, I'm a little shy about it in execution. In my head, I'm rocking my big glasses, rocking my eye make-up and also looking awesome with a casual swipe of red lipstick. However, in my head I have no acne, have willowy arms and straight hair, live in Athens, and have a cat, so... sometimes fantasy and reality are a teeeeeensy bit at odds, yes? If I look around, it looks great on other people. Gertie always looks fantastic with her bright red lips and glasses and pretty, pretty hair.

At the end of last summer, I got obsessed with buying bright red lipstick. I did some internet "research" and settled on Urban Decay's Revolution lipstick and went to buy it as soon as we got back from vacation. [For the record, I also bought Midnight Cowboy and I LOVE it: I wear it almost every day.] I still love the color: it really is a true red. But in reality?


It's a little awesome, right? I just can't tell if it's clownish or not. Since yesterday we had to make a quick, pre-shower run to my husband's office in the rain, I put on very drab clothes, scraped my hair into a bun, and decided to fancy it up with red lipstick. I like the look, but is it too much?

My theory is that it might be a little overwhelming with the green eyeliner. Maybe I need to wear black eyeliner on the days that I wear bright red lipstick. However, the more I look at the picture, the more I like the look on me. Opinions?

No comments:

Post a Comment