Friday, September 12, 2014

How I wore it: T.G.I.F!!!!

Yikes, you guys. It was just the first full week of classes and all of my colleagues and students are wrecked. Why has this year been so much more tiring than other years? I don't know, but I'm constantly exhausted, frazzled, and achy (…well, that has more to do with the constant biking/walking to get Baby Boots).

So I am super grateful that today is (finally) Friday. So I wore a cute outfit. Well, cute-ish. For my new standards:


To be honest, I don't know how much the leggings do for this (especially since they're pretty much full-length leggings and I like the knee/calf-length ones), but they're super-necessary for biking, of course. Well, anyways, I've had this dress since the spring of 2013 and have worn it a bunch. It was surprisingly good for biking, along with the leggings. I

I was hoping to wear cuter flats, but my feet were killing me after a lot of walking in unsuitable wedges yesterday and then I stubbed my toe super-hard this morning and suspect that I might have broken it. So comfy moccasin slippers it was! 

I always get excited, as you know, when my jewelry matches my outfit:


…And match it does. These two pieces are peridot, my birthstone, and pieces that I've had for years. The pendant I got from my parents for my 11th birthday, one of the first "nice" pieces of jewelry that I ever had. I wore the crap out of this chain/pendant combo: at one point, I never took off the necklace and even went swimming in it. All the wear and tear have banged it up a bit, but I still adore it. 

The ring was my 12th birthday present from my parents, bought to match my pendant. This ring means a lot to me, although I have bittersweet memories attached to receiving it. The original ring was too small for me, so we went to Macy's to get it resized. The saleswoman, upon hearing our request, looked at my hand (keep in mind, I had just turned twelve), and said, "Oh, I see. You have fat fingers." 

Yup. 

A saleswoman told a preteen girl that she had fat fingers. My mom is still furious about it.

Funnily enough, my fingers have remained the same size since then (the ring still fits perfectly around my ring finger, for which it was sized) and, hey, I'll be honest: I sometimes catch myself looking at my fingers to see if they are, indeed, "fat." Maybe they are. Who knows. I don't particularly care anymore, but - 21 years later - I can't really understand the brutal honesty that made this lady say that to me…

Green dress: J Crew Factory, remixed
Grey leggings: Calvin Klein, by way of TJ Maxx, remixed
Moccasins: Minnetonka, by way of Lord and Taylor (NYC), remixed
Peridot ring and necklace: presents from my parents from Macy's (NYC) 


2 comments:

  1. Omg how mean of that lady! Then again I could still see plenty of people now saying something like that to a child. I brought a dress to a seamstress in my late teens hoping to have it let out and instead of nicely telling me there wasn't enough allowance to do so, she told me I should consider going on a diet. *sigh* Hope your toe gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassy, HIIIIIIII! Jeez, people everywhere should just be nicer. My toe is doing better, thanks. Don't think I broke it, but it's still a little sore. It was a big bump!

    ReplyDelete