Monday, April 1, 2013

How I wore it: power outfit

Today I went into work with more than a little trepidation: not only was I working on slightly over five hours of sleep, but I was concerned about the probable meeting I was to have with my boss about my request for an extension on getting my contract back to the office. I wanted to saunter into work looking calm, cool, collected, and confident. I decided that I needed a "power outfit." In my last school, one of my favorite students loved the color red and whenever I wore a red dress, she'd say, "Señora, you're wearing my power color!" and that stuck with me. So in a silent nod to her, I decided red needed to be in my power outfit.

... That being said, I had no idea what to wear. The weather was supposed to be nice and warmish, and then rain and, well, Massachusetts in the spring. I didn't want to wear my new boots because I didn't want to be distracted. Then I was so tired that I went with some tried and true elements, some stuff that I liked from my last post, and called it a day. I will admit, though, I was kind of psyched with the final result:

Check out how tilted my camera was!

Oh, well, I didn't reinvent the wheel, but I did feel comfortable and cool the whole day. As I've said before, that shirt is a workhorse. I love it. As you know, I love me a good buffalo plaid and, as a child who came of age in the 90s, a checked flannel shirt is all right with me... 

In the end, there was no meeting and I got granted the extension: on Wednesday, I'll meet up with the head of school just to touch base, but her e-mails to me today were cordial and sweet, so I'm not as scared as I was this morning.

From a distance, you might see that I'm wearing a pendant: it's the same one I'm wearing in Saturday's outfit. It's pretty new: I got it from the same store where I got my fish pendant,  Paperface Studio. You can't really tell what it is from far away, but if you look closely, you may see that it's a Day of the Dead skull:


Some might find it morbid, but I love it. I don't come from a culture that celebrates Day of the Dead, but I love the symbolism behind the skeleton/skull figures and I couldn't resist when I saw this silver "sugar skull"! It is dainty and delicate, but has a satisfying heft to it: I love the detail!

All right, time for bed. What would your power outfit be?

Checked shirt: Old Navy (online), remixed
Grey tank: H&M (Athens), remixed
Red skirt: Dickie's brand, from a store in Philadelphia, remixed
Black tights: Gap (online)
Grey booties: Aldo, remixed
Silver skull necklace: Paperface Studio




No comments:

Post a Comment