Sunday, July 25, 2010

How I wore it: What's opera, doc?

Last night, my husband and I went to the wonderful and enchanting Herod of Atticus theatre in Athens (it's on the base of the Acropolis, no big deal) to see the opera "Aida," being presented as part of the 2010 Athens Festival. Last year we'd gone to the same theatre to see Daniel Barenboim conduct a program of Beethoven and Berlioz. My husband is a very serious classical musician and I'm an opera fanatic (and ex-semi-serious choral singer), so "Aida" was right up our alley. Unfortunately, it was over 100 degrees Fahrenheit in Athens yesterday. Granted, the opera was at night, but it was still swelteringly hot and there were thousands of people crammed into the ancient Greco-Roman theatre. Conditions for fainting. I did not, though, so - vittoria!

Here is what I wore:


You can see the patina of sweat all over my extremities (this is after the opera). I kept the palette relatively simple, relying on a favorite black tank top and what I refer to as my "baptism skirt." See, this rather shockingly-cut [for my standards] tulip-shaped wonder was bought for me by my godmother when I got baptized Greek Orthodox last summer. The tradition is that your god-parent buys you all new clothes (including undies and shoes) to show that you're a new person in the eyes of the church. My godmother bought me this skirt (it came with a matching silver sparkly belt that I - thankfully? - can't find at the moment, although it made the waist definition a little better, especially considering that the skirt is quite loose on me), along with a patterned blouse and teal sandals. While I loved all the pieces she bought me, I especially love the skirt: I keep it in Greece, but it's very nice to come "home" to. While it is quite matchy-matchy, I don't care - I wore my big turquoise necklace and (quite invisible) matching turquoise earrings. And, of course, my silver sandals which desperately need replacing, although they're so damn cute.

I was also able to observe high Athenian fashion last night, as - despite the extreme heat and the outdoor venue - any theatre event is one where ladies will be dressed up to the summer nines. What I could most tell was in fashion were long maxi dresses, much like in the States, but with more details. Usually strapless, the fabric below the waist is quite blousey, loose, and billowy, but the bodice is ruched / crinkled very tightly. This is a perfect example of it, although last night's Athenians seemed to prefer more bright colors and patterns:

(photo of this BCBG dress was found via thecharmcat.com) 


Anyways. That's my situation and the situation of the women around me. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go to my in-laws' home and become one with their A/C.

See yas!


Black tank: H&M, remixed
Turquoise skirt: gift from my godmother from a small shop in Piraeus, Greece
Silver sandals: from a shop in Herakleion, Crete, remixed

No comments:

Post a Comment