Saturday, July 31, 2010

How I wore it: the kids from Piraeus

Today my husband, mother-in-law, and I ran some house errands. Considering that I spent all of yesterday in a pair of my husband's old shorts and a ratty grey t-shirt (and that I wore the exact same "ensemble" for the rest of the day today), I decided to go wild and wear an actual "outfit," although nothing very different from what you've seen me wear before:


As you can imagine, here in Greece, Melina Mercouri is an iconic figure, not just for her skill as an actress, but for her endless campaign to get the Elgin Marbles restored to Greece. In fact, our favorite café in Plaka, named simply "Melina," is a full-on tribute to her. It was in just that café the other day that I saw a picture of her from an poster of her most iconic movie "Never on Sunday." She  was wearing a very simple, late 50s outfit: a tight tank top tucked into a tight pencil skirt. It looked something like this:

(image from videospot.co.za)


Now my own outfit didn't have much to do with the original inspiration; it wasn't so much a direct translation, rather a re-interpretation; furthermore, I felt care-free and summery in my bright red pencil-esque skirt and my grey tunic top - an outfit I've worn before both for work and for vacation - especially with the addition of my bright red sandals. I bought those beauties last summer on Ermou Street, from - I believe - a shoe store called Tsakiris Mallas. I'll probably be doing a more detailed post on them later.

Anyway, it was a good couple of hours, but it was also nice to get back to my unofficial "house uniform:" a girl's gotta nap...


Grey tunic top, tucked in: American Apparel, remixed
Red skirt: Dickie's brand, bought from a boutique in Philadelphia, remixed
Red sandals: Tsakiris Mallas (?), from Athens

No comments:

Post a Comment