Tuesday, December 7, 2010

How I wore it: reunion of cousins

Hey, all!

Wow, although I posted two days ago, it feels like longer to me. Hmm.

Anyway, folks, Boston? Is now officially COLD. I'm so not used to this. Because our fall was so low-key, when the temperature ventured into the 50s and then 40s, we all I thought, "Okay, it's cold, but I can handle this! Bring it on, winter!" Well, winter brought it. Temperatures hovered at the freezing point today and with this (let's face it) rather innocuous display of cold weather, I'm already grumbling. I can't even think about going for outdoor runs (at least, not until I get used to this weather again) or even leaving the house for long periods of time. What I mean is that it's cold, yo.

However, I did have to leave the house today in order to have dinner with a long-lost second cousin and his new wife (and my husband). This young man is from Chile, as is all my father's family, and I'd met him about eight or nine years ago when he stayed in New York for a few weeks one summer. We hung out a little bit and I took him and his friends to the Museum of Natural History. Anyway, he was in the States with his wife and visiting Boston, so we met up for seafood downtown. This is how I dressed:


Ahh, what a relief. After a week of deliberately not wearing fitted pants/leggings tucked into tall boots to avoid falling into a rut, it felt heavenly to wear this outfit - in my traditional colors, too! Black and grey - is anything more comfort-inducing (at least to me, that is)?

(Oh, and can we take a minute? I LOVE those grey boots, people. More than life itself. I think they and my Christmas boots are going to be the obnoxious popular kids of my closet. The blue Fryes are going to be on the verge of almost-popular. My Greek boots and the Steve Maddens will be the artsy kids, while my suede pairs and the traditional black leather heeled ones will be the social outcasts. The grey booties will be the lovable and reliable jocks and my yellow Fluevogs are definitely the foreign-exchange students. Um, can we make this into a sitcom?)

Anyway, dinner with my cousin and his Spanish-Swedish wife was great and it was wonderful to see how my own husband understood much of the conversation taking place in Spanish. Have I ever told y'all what my deal is? Well, my father is Chilean and his family has been in Chile for generations. My mother is Argentine, but her parents were both Spanish. I was born in the US, but my first language was Spanish and I didn't learn English until I was in preschool. There's my deal.

So now you know more about me than you ever needed to know! Aren't you glad?! And for added benefit, here's a special hilariously ludicrous outtake that I kind of like more than my actual outfit photo!

Note the blurry monster-hand and the lack of neck

Grey and black striped cardigan: Banana Republic, remixed
Grey tunic: American Apparel, remixed
Black leggings: HUE, via Lord and Taylor, remixed
Grey boots: Frye Paige Huaraches, by way of endless.com, remixed

8 comments:

  1. What does it mean that I think of most of my shoes as the AV kids?

    Anywhoodle, I hear you on the love of grey and black, and I always like you in your grey boots - such a nice change from the black that everyone else (m'self included) wears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you! You know, it's funny - of all my "fun" boots (i.e., the ones I wear for hanging out with leggings/pants), none of them are black. Which is weird, because I love black so much, but I've never found a fun, tall, black boot that I liked on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the grey and black! 2 of my favs as well - along with the boots and leggings. Perfection.
    Glad you had a nice cousin reunion :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!

    I sometimes think I could live quite happily in an all-black-and-grey wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this outfit so much I'm trying to decide if I have the stuff to copy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You definitely have a similar long cardigan, don't you? That you just wore?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am soooo over the 10-20 degree days here already. I love the BR cardi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, thanks! See, I can't really complain compared to you! 30 degrees is positively balmy, compared to what you're dealing with.

    ReplyDelete