Monday, May 9, 2011

More imaginary shopping

Folks, I promise you that I had cute clothes on both on Saturday and Sunday - yesterday's outfit was even totally photographable and blog-worthy, but? After a long day of hanging out with my family, taking two longish train rides, and engaging in a battle of wills with my five-year-old niece, I came home too exhausted to do anything but watch 'The Killing' and gnaw on some leftover gluten-free pizza provided to me by aforementioned niece's parents. So just use your imaginations: I looked totally adorable yesterday.

In the meantime, I've fallen in love with yet another unattainable object. The other day, at the gym, I was catching up with 'The Daily Show' on the elliptical and the invited guest was Rachel Maddow, whom I've known of and liked for some years now, when my now-husband first introduced me to MSNBC over five years ago. Anyway, I've always thought that Rachel is adorable and - as I used to watch her especially when I was growing out my hair - envied her adorable short hair. Now that my own hair is short again, I've glommed on to another one of her trademarks: her amazing tortoiseshell glasses. "Gee," I thought, "I wonder where hers are from. I bet the internet knows." Well, guess what? The internet does know. And it has pointed me to a new obsession:  MOSCOT Eyewear. As we all know, I've had a burning love for thick horn-rimmed glasses since, oh, 1998 or so and this New-York-based company delivers the goods and how.

These are Rachel Maddow's glasses, according to the internet and a quick Google search:


These are the Moscot Nebb in Tortoise (I think? The colors are wonky on that particular glasses' page). Aren't they amazing? They're like a chunkier version of the glasses I had before my Ray-Bans (never featured here) and a cooler version (and tortoiseshell! My fave!) of the Ray-Bans I currently own. Alas, though, they cost $475, so, without being able to have insurance do anything, unlike when I get new frames next year ... I won't be getting them. 

I've decided that my next frame, due for a change in early 2012, will be tortoiseshell and - barring I find anything amazing at the store - Ray-Bans again. These are my top choices:


Original Wayfarers FTW in dark avana! My eye doctor last year cautioned me against going with the originals because of how deep they are. I'm gonna insist on trying them on next time. Aren't they awesome? 

However much I bitch now, though, I'll consider trying my current frame in another color:


My current frames are the Wayfarer Squares, which, as you can see, are not as deep as the originals. They only come in sunglasses, it seems, but that was no problem: the guy just switched out the lenses.

Mmmm, tortoiseshell. Now to wait until February of 2012! 





3 comments:

  1. Wow, those are fun! I've always loved tortoise shell. This makes me wish I needed to wear glasses for more than just reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, aren't they? I love 'em. I bought my black frames last year when I wanted a switch from tortoiseshell, but I think they're a little TOO severe. I think the tortoiseshell color would lighten up my look a teensy bit, which would be fun...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya, I had black frames for my readers for several years, and once I made the switch back to brown, it made a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete