Wednesday, May 26, 2010

How I wore it: Happy happy birthday, baby!

So yesterday was my beloved husband's (Mr. Boots?) 31st birthday. It was also about 88 degrees in the Boston area. I like both of those things. I'm a total summer person -- I love hot weather, I love haziness, I don't even mind humidity that much. It's also finals week at work, which means that I'm not really doing anything but proctoring and correcting final exams, so... good times!

To celebrate my husband's birthday, I decided to wear contacts and a dress that I got in May of 2004. Actually, my mom bought it for me. I was trying to figure out what to wear to my fifth high-school reunion and my mom went to Saks in New York and looked around. The saleslady suggested a couple of dresses, although my mother thought I wouldn't like them. I fell in love with one and I've worn the crap out of it since. Not just to my reunion, but also to multiple weddings and random summer events. The first big event that my husband and I celebrated together was his 27th birthday four years ago and I wore that dress. I thought I'd pull it out again, as it's pretty work-appropriate -- especially for a heat wave.

(Now the picture below is of me hours after work, coming home from dinner out, so I'm wearing sandals rather than sensible flats)


Aren't my sandals silly? I bought them in Heraklion (Crete) last summer, after railing for months about how stupid Greek summer sandal fashion was. Then I got jealous and bought my own covered-ankle sandals near the end of the summer, so I barely got a chance to wear them. I thought I'd pull them out for the big b-day. 

I like this dress because it's mod and cute and shift-y and makes me feel like a 60s starlet. 

It's also wrinkled.

Alas, you can't win 'em all.

Colorful shift: Saks Fifth Avenue
Silver sandals: little store in Heraklion, Crete

No comments:

Post a Comment