Monday, January 12, 2015

How I wore it: sophisticated yeti?

Today was above freezing! For most of the day! It was pretty magical. You wanna know what else was magical? Having a normal schedule again. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's nice to have my husband home because I like him, but the fact that I am sleeping in my bedroom again, showering in my bathroom, and just living my usual life (I was bunking with my daughter while my parents were in town helping out while my husband was out of town) has felt pretty awesome today. I look forward to more amazing revelations about having access to one's own beauty products at any time...

Although today's temps were above freezing, it was still rainy/snowy/wintry mix...y. So I knew I had to pull on my yeti Sorels. However, I also wanted to pair them with a sleeker outline than usual, so I did...this:



The pose is stiff as hell, but it was the best photo of the lot. I've tended to wear my big Sorels with pants or thicker leggings and a tunic of some sort, but I have to admit that I kind of loved them with the ladylike silhouette of pencil skirt and fitted sweater. Again, not really sure why I liked this so much, but I really did. I tend to feel very self-conscious in this stretchy pencil skirt, but something about balancing it out with my clodhopper boots made feel like a conquering hero. Also, I liked that it made my usually-muscular legs look delicate and girly! 

On a related note, I'm freaking out about the Quebec trip I'll be chaperoning next month. Last week the temperature dipped to -26 degrees! Fahrenheit! I...will probably not be documenting my outfits while I'm there. Snow pants, anyone?

In other news, I'm very happy today. I've just confirmed with the head of the Asian Studies department at a local university that I'll be giving a guest lecture on Indian love poetry later next month! I randomly contacted a few department chairs to ask to be put on South Asian-related mailing lists and this one guy took a look at my CV and invited me to give a talk! As you can imagine, I'll be cultivating these contacts most assiduously. Sigh. It would be so magical to work at this one particular college. It's also close to where my husband works and not, you know, in a suburb 12 miles away from home...

Anyway. You wanna know something funny about my navy top I'm wearing? I've worn it before, here (and apparently before, too?). It was my dad's. If I remember family lore correctly, my mom got it for him in the 70s and he thought it was too tight (by which he thought it was too effeminate), so he never wore it. I think I inherited it in high school, when I was wearing a lot of my parents' stuff from that decade. It's very stretchy and fitted, true, and it's pure wool, so I wear it sparingly. It's not too itchy, but some days are better than others. You can't tell from the picture, but the lapels are something else. They almost reach my shoulders. It was pretty bothersome with my hair length, let me tell you...

Happy Monday, y'all! I look forward to showing you my presents from Greece in the near future!

Navy top: my dad's, Saks Fifth Avenue label, remixed
Green pencil skirt: Old Navy (online), remixed
Blue tights: Gap (online), remixed
Boots: Sorel Joan of Arctic, by way of zappos.com, remixed


No comments:

Post a Comment