Sunday, February 7, 2010

How I wore it: children's party edition

So...

This morning we woke up super early to get ready to go to our niece's birthday party (she turned four last week). However, our train was cancelled, so I found myself all dressed up with no place to go. Fortunately, we ended up lurking in bookstores and coffee places, but I still wish I could've hung out with little kids at a Minnie Mouse party instead...


I wanted to be comfortable enough to run up and down stairs with an energetic child, but still wear my favorite elements (skinny jeans, grey and black, boots). Frankly, I felt pretty and chic in this outfit.

You're also able to see my first pair of grey leather boots, my Aldo booties that are writhingly jealous of my Fryes. (On a side note, does anyone else hate the word 'bootie'? It makes me sweaty and uncomfortable) As I said when I first mentioned them, they're extremely versatile, but I find that at certain angles they can stumpify my legs when I'm wearing skinny jeans. From the side they look better, but I notice now that from the front I look a little...hoof-y.

I did want to add one quirky, fun element to the mix, and that's my flowered headband:


I bought this headband in the fall. Living and working in New England for the first time, I was stuck by the enormous and unironic hair accessories that young girls wear here. At my workplace, you see girls with floppy hairbows, big headbands, and striped ribbons. I fell in love with this unashamedly preppy rosette headband and bought it without really thinking it through. I've only worn it a couple of times and decidedly NOT at work. I thought that it would be a good way to mix some fun into my outfit for the wee ones, especially if Minnie Mouse ears might be involved. Well, maybe next time...

Headband: JCrew
Black skinny jeans: Bulldog by Urban Outfitter
Black and grey striped sweater: Banana Republic
Black top: Tony [a small boutique in Philadelphia's Old City]
Grey booties: Aldo

No comments:

Post a Comment