Saturday, November 8, 2014

How I wore it: dressing for success…or health, at least

This week I've been feeling a little under the weather, trying valiantly to stave off a cold and get through this last week of the academic unit (another four-day weekend ahead!) - not that my classes change (yay, language classes!), but it still feels like the end of a chapter at school and for my students. I haven't gotten sick for real as of now and I think that staying active (biking when I could, walking when I couldn't bike) has been helping me: that's generally the way it is. If I can distract my body/mind from getting sick, I usually feel a little better.

Yesterday (Friday) dawned cold, grey, and drizzly after seemingly endless rains the day before. However, the weather gods said it wouldn't rain for the rest of the day and I had a certain outfit in mind, so I went for it:


You guys, as disloyal as I feel to all my Fryes (um, five pairs), I really think that these cowboy dealies are fast becoming my favorite boots. I love how my legs look in them, they make me feel like a badass, they add a certain edge to every outfit, and not a day has gone by that I've worn them that people haven't commented. 

Yesterday, I thought to wear them with an all-black palette (wow, I didn't think when I ordered that short Old Navy dress a couple of summers ago that I'd wear it all the time in all seasons), but the problem was, of course, the layering. I put my old green cashmere cardigan over the whole shebang, chose turquoise accessories (and a turquoise scarf, not pictured), and went on my way. And it was worth it: two different female students lauded my outfit to the heavens and a bunch of different people (kitchen staff, colleagues, students, moms at daycare, and a random stranger) complimented my boots. Special!

You may also notice that I'm wearing my hair down, which I rarely do. It's, in fact, the second time I've done so this school year. I'm paranoid about harming my hairline by wearing my hair up all the time, so I decided to give it a bit of a rest. I always feel like an unkempt male lion when I don't do up my hair, but I can't deny that I felt pretty sultry with it down… 

Green cardigan: gift from mom via Lord and Taylor (NYC), remixed
Black dress: Old Navy (online), remixed
Black leggings: HUE, via Lord and Taylor (Boston), remixed
Cowboy boots: Corral via countryoutfitter.com, gift from husband, remixed


No comments:

Post a Comment