Thursday, November 13, 2014

How I wore it: blue jay way

For some reason, I had it in my head today to wear today's particular outfit. I think, since I only have work three days this week (yesterday, today, tomorrow), I figured that between the potentially crappy and/or cold weather of yesterday and tomorrow, I decided that today would be the day to wear today's dress/tights/boots combo that I thought of. And here it is:


Because the color's not awesome, let me tell you that the dress is navy and the tights are more of a royal blue. I got this dress at (where else?) Old Navy last winter and it's been on moderately heavy rotation since then. I completely forgot that it existed between last spring and, like, last week, but I'm glad I remembered its existence. I like its shape, that fit-and-flare that I tend to gravitate to in my favorite dresses. I love its sleeve length and I don't mind the little cognac-colored belt it came with. It pairs nicely with boots in that color, as you see with today's Fryes. The dress is a little short for my standards, but apparently I've been, um, wearing shorter dresses? I don't know. I just am continuously shocked after the fact when I see pictures of myself. 

I usually get someone (by which I mean students) telling me how much they like my dress whenever I wear this one, but today only a couple of my colleagues remarked on it. My students are probably disgusted that they've seen me in it so often [I wore it a fair amount last academic year…] What did surprise me, though, is how many people (again, primarily colleagues) remarked upon my boots today. I mean, I've had these bad boys for almost two years now, and they have been in pretty high rotation since then! It's okay, though - my boots enjoyed the admiration. 

In other news, I think it's time to hang up the reflective jacket for the season… The weather's starting to get crappy (rain was promised yesterday, but it was gorgeous out and tomorrow it might SNOW) and, more importantly, today I kept an eye on the time and realized that I would actually probably feel a little unsafe and uncomfortable out on my bike at the times that I'd be riding on home. I mean, I ride in very safe areas, traffic-wise (except for one awful underpass/mass riot), and I have my extremely bright apparel, but I think I'd be stressed all day if, say, I knew that at 5 PM (the absolute latest I'm ever out on the bike on my commute home) it's already gonna be dark. I don't know. I feel like such a wimp for giving up, but I just need to figure what I value more: my 30 minutes a day of biking or my peace of mind… What do y'all think?

Scarf: Urban Outfitters, remixed
Navy dress: Old Navy (online)
Blue tights: Gap (online), remixed
Boots: Frye Paige Riding Boots by way of countryoutfitter.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment