Friday, November 19, 2010

How I wore it: my name is mud

So I landed another tutoring gig a couple of weeks ago! And the second one started today. It's for two middle-school students in elementary French. Yay! Yup, I now have two lessons per week to prepare and two excuses per to put on clothes and mascara. Victory!

Because the weather got rather cooler today than it had been, I decided to snuggle up to my corduroy leggings, which I've worn before, but not documented. One thing led to another, and I put on a shirt that matched a little too well. The next step was obvious: silly suede boots! Although it's not really the case, I always like to gravitate toward suede boots in cold weather - because suede always seems warm, I subconsciously think that my suede boots are warmer than my leather ones. Could this be true or is it a weird myth I made up?

Can you believe I used to be a full-time middle-school teacher?

Whooooooah! What is going on with those boots?! Let's take a closer look:


Silly, right? I have a sneaking fondness for these boots although I probably wear them the least of any others I own. These boots actually started my passionate boot-collecting habit, believe it or not. In the winter of the 2007-2008 school year, I decided that I wanted some cool flat boots that I could tuck skinny pants (which I still didn't own!) into, so I went shopping in NYC with my mom. Inspired by this blog post, I envisioned something very much like my most recent pair, the Steve Madden Intyce (can you imagine? If I had found them back then, I might have never bought boots again! Quelle horreur!). Anyway, the perfect brown boots were not to be found in Lord and Taylor and I showed my mom those suede fringy things and said, "If it weren't for the stupid fringe, these would be perfect!" [this was before my horror of suede - while I like suede boots for their perceived warmth, I really don't like scanning the sky for rainclouds before putting them on] My mom, the same woman who constantly buys clothes for me at Brooks Brothers and wishes I acted more like a lady, LOVED the boots, especially the "stupid fringe." Nothing doing, I had to try them on. And take them home. That same pair of boots, my friends, led me to buy my first pair of skinny pants. And here we are today, wearing them with corduroy leggings. The circle of life, man. 

Anyways, because it was cold, I had to throw on a sweater over the whole shebang:


That is a lot of muddy brown/grey. Anyway, although I know it's not the most flattering outfit I could've worn, I felt snuggly and cuddly and? Just funky enough to meet two seventh-graders and convince them that I'm gonna be the most awesome French tutor of all time. EVER. 

I think it went well.

Grey cardigan: my husband's, from H&M, remixed
Grey tunic: American Apparel, remixed
"Putty" corduroy leggings: HUE, by way of Lord and Taylors (Boston)
Suede boots: Steve Madden (Tanglee?), by way of Lord and Taylors (New York)

No comments:

Post a Comment