Sunday, February 21, 2010

How I wore it: apartment hunting, part the fourth

Hello, kittens! Today my husband and I spent four hours in East Boston looking at adorable lofts, apartments, and condos in the area. I ... don't think I want to move anymore. Anyway, I realized that my real estate agent had never seen me in pants and that I had to BE OUT OF THE HOUSE BY 10 AM ON A SATURDAY, so I basically wore my safe colors and jammed my feet into a comfy pair of grey, slouchy boots.


I feel like a kind of pissed, curvy super-hero who forgot her cape somewhere and is out to fight high condo fees.

My pants and shirt are my default all-in-back clothes. I think that when most people look at monochromatic outfits they get really bored, but I usually think, "Hmmm...convenient." To break up the color, I rocked the first pair of grey boots that I ever bought, way back in the halcyon days of July of 2008. They're suede and slouchy and starting to get a little the worse for wear, but they're extremely comfortable (almost too much so -- I feel as if they have no arch support) and quite warm over jeans. It almost feels like wearing slippers.


Are we getting tired of desk shots yet? It's, like, the only way I can semi-consistently focus my camera with the self-timer. Plus, it's quirky and it actually shows my proportions better than the other shot.

So it's the old same-old same-old, what with black and grey together. Whoop-dee-doo. However, when I wear these colors, I do like to break it up a little, even if it's in a subtle way. Very few people would notice this, but I wore a beautiful little Fabergé egg of a ring with this outfit (and with small diamond jewelry):


Isn't it a beaut? My husband bought it for me in a lovely jewelry store in Hamburg, Germany (where I'm currently working on my Ph.D. part-time). It's near the Rathaus, run by a lovely Afghani man who speaks clear, careful German and lets me understand and even CHAT with him. He assured me that this ring was made of silver and echte Rubine [real rubies]. Sold.

A few months ago, the lovely Sal asked what would be the one word you would use to describe yourself. While remembering this challenge, I didn't remember it correctly, and racked my brain to think of which single word I would use to describe my fashion choices. I came up with it yesterday and today: accented.

Although the majority of outfits I've shown on this blog have all veered to to the grey/black monochromatic look, I usually wear a flash of color somewhere, especially in the winer. On Friday, for example, I wore all black to work -- with a bright red pencil skirt. Today I tried to break up my grey-on-black look by subtly wearing a bright pink ring that looks like an Easter egg. I like it: accented. I like a pop of color, but that's about enough. Even since I was a kid: I still remember in 10th grade wearing a black t-shirt, black jeans, and white shoes (it was late summer). I like a pop of color -- an accent, if you will.

What would be your word?

Black top: Tony [boutique in Philly], remixed
Black jeans: Bulldog from Urban Outfitters, remixed
Grey boots: Penny Loves Kenny, by way of DSW
Pink ruby ring: jewelry store in Hamburg

No comments:

Post a Comment